3.27.2012

parenthood post: weaning


 

for today's parenthood post, i want to know how long you nursed...


call me crazy, but i'm just weaning jude now. it's been a long and hard process, but we're finally down to one feeding a day, before bed. originally, i didn't really have a plan as to how long i wanted to breastfeed. my goal was six months, and if i made it that long, i wanted to go at least a year. well, i made it a year, and decided it was time to start cutting back. i started trying to feed jude only when he woke up, before a nap, or before bed. when i got that down, i started cutting out morning feedings, and up until just a few weeks ago, i cut out nap-time feedings. that was the hardest to do, so far, because it's hard for him to fall asleep on his own, and a lot of times he won't even nap anymore. cutting out bedtime feedings will be even more difficult i suspect, but it's coming!

so for you nursing mothers...was it weird when you stopped breastfeeding? was it a long process, or fairly short? was it hard? i can't even really imagine what it will be like when jude is completely weaned. it has been an extremely hard process for me, but that might be because jude has refused a bottle since he was three months old, and is a picky eater. or maybe i'm just lazy. mamas-to-be, do you plan on nursing, and if so, for how long? in my opinion, i think everybody should at least try nursing, and if it's not your thing, you can always pump or bottle-feed. so, tell me, i want to know!

p.s. we know all about postpartum depression, but did you know that weaning can have the same effect?

image: got breastmilk? onesie by LLLI

6 comments:

Natalie said...

I'm still nursing Adelaide quite a bit. At first I planned on nursing just until she turned a year old, but as I'm about to hit that, I'm realizing we probably won't wean quite that soon. I realize it's kind of weird to most people to nurse past a year, but I figure it's still healthy and Addie wants it and I'm totally fine with it, so might as well. I nurse her usually around 7, 10 (before I leave for work), 2:30 (when I get home from work) and then another short time if she goes down for a nap later, depending on when her first nap was (like 3:30 or 4?), and then before bed around 7:30. So 4-5 times a day. I'm not sure what my plan is.... I'm just gonna go with the flow. But way to go nursing Jude that long! That's impressive and it makes me feel less weird for still wanting to nurse Adelaide. :)

Ruth said...

I nursed Lily until she was about 12 months old. Weaning her wasn't difficult at all. We had been supplementing with formula for a while (I wasn't making enough milk) and then with her eating too I had been gradually nursing her less and less. So, by the time I got pregnant when she was 11 months old I was only nursing her once in the morning and once at night. By that time I felt like I was nursing her just to say I nursed her for a year; she didn't seem to care whether I nursed her or not. So, once she was a year I stopped. And that was that.

I'm nursing our second baby now (she's a month old) and hope to nurse her for a year, too. And hopefully this time around we won't end up having to supplement with formula.

Sara said...

I'm really hoping that I'll be able to nurse my baby successfully. (I'm due May 10th) I'm trying to do whatever I can to prepare, taking classes and stuff. Hopefully they help! I'm glad there are good Lactation consultants at the hospital, and other resources as well. Both of my sisters had a hard time getting started with nursing, but have both had success eventually. I'm hoping to nurse at least a year.

Ace and Waleena...Two people, actually said...

None of my three girls ever took a bottle. Pacifier, yes, bottle no. So I nursed the first two about 15 months and the last one eighteen months. Of course, towards the end, there was only a just before bedtime feeding and by then they were eating solid foods too. Not to mention learning to use a sippy cup.
Nursing was uncomfortable at first but became second nature as time went on. It seemed so much easier then washing bottles, making sure I had formula (and money to pay for it!), etc. Pumping successfully was just about non-existent. Not to mention there is a certain sort of bonding that happens to the nursing mother that is actually physical. I am not saying it does not happen with a bottle fed baby- its just that I have only experienced how crazy strong the feelings are while nursing. At least it was that way for me. Something about being indispensable to your own child. I enjoyed nursing. Hope all goes well with Jude. It's good to know he had such a healthy start! j.

Robyn said...

I nursed Sam for about 13 months until our pediatrition suggested moving to whole milk so he would gain more weight. (Sam had dropped to the 25th percentile so he was a little concerned, but I think it was because Sam was so active.) Sam turned into a milk guzzler and loved his bottle. We finally weaned him from the bottle at about 19 months. Now he is still a milk guzzler and in love with his sippy cup instead :)

Meesh said...

I've been thinking about this a lot now that I'm pregnant. I have found it interesting that the average weaning age in the U.S. is significantly lower then the worldwide average (2.8 years-old!). My own French mother-in-law breastfed my husband til he was four...where she is from that is totally, and completely normal. I don't think I'll breastfeed anywhere near that long, but I think I will play it by ear and not stress if my baby has a hard time being weaned at a year.